9 projects have been selected for the 2nd Biennale College – Cinema Virtual Reality 2017/18. Each team (composed of a director and a producer) will participate in the first 7-day workshop to be held in Venice from January 13th to 19th 2018. The call for this edition was launched on September 3rd, 2017.
The Biennale College is a complex and innovative experience that engages all the Departments of the Biennale di Venezia. Biennale College – Cinema promotes new talents in cinema by offering them the opportunity to work side by side with the masters to make micro-budget films.
Biennale College – Cinema Virtual Reality is a recent project developed by the Biennale di Venezia with the aim of exploring the most innovative and exciting technology of the moment: Virtual Reality. A maximum of 3 teams composed of a director and a producer will be selected to work on the development of virtual reality projects up to 30 minutes long.
The teams will be supported along the way through every step of the creative process, the production, the process of audience-building, and the financial aspects. Of all the projects developed during the workshop, up to a maximum of 3 VR projects will receive a contribution towards production of up to € 60,000 each, thanks to the support of SONY, and will subsequently be presented at the 75th Venice International Film Festival 2018 in the Venice Virtual Reality section, launched with great success in 2017.
The 9 projects selected for the first phase of the Biennale College – Cinema VR are:
• In the Cave (Italy) – Ivan Gergolet (director) | Antonio Giacomin (producer)
• Psychopompos (Italy/ France) – Giulia Olivieri (director) | Fabrizio Polpettini (producer)
• Meet Mortaza (France) – Josephine Derobe (director) | Oriane Hurard (producer)
• VRtigo (France) – Marc Guidoni (director) | Joanna Szybist (producer)
• Pierre Gagnaire – Destiny (France) – Andrés Jarach (director) | Arnaud Colinart (producer)
• Lightspeed VR (Russia) – Anton Outkine (director) | Sergey Kornikhin (producer)
• A City of Foxes (India) – Nihaarika Negi (director) | Ishita Gandhi (producer)
• 4 Feet (Argentina) – Damian Turkieh, Maria Belen Poncio, Gonzalo Sierra (director) | Ezequiel Lenardon (producer)
• Deep Clot (Brazil/China) – Mauricio Osaki (director) | Aihui Dong (producer)
The 9 projects were selected by the Director of the Venice Film Festival, Alberto Barbera, with the assistance of the Biennale College – Cinema VR team, and will be documented on the Biennale’s website www.labiennale.org. The second workshop will be held in Venice from March 21st to 24th 2018.
Biennale College Cinema – Virtual Reality is made possible by a grant from the Creative Europe-MEDIA programme and enjoys the collaboration of the TorinoFilmLab.
Biennale College – Cinema, organized by the Biennale di Venezia, is supported by the Ministry for the Cultural Heritage and Activities. Biennale College – Cinema enjoys the academic collaboration of IFP in New York and the TorinoFilmLab, and continues its academic collaboration with the Busan International Film Festival. Furthermore, the project for the 2017-2018 edition is supported by Condé Nast. The Director is Alberto Barbera, Head of Programme Savina Neirotti.
Biennale College – Cinema and Biennale College – Cinema Virtual Reality 2017/2018
MEDIA – Creative Europa Programme
For the 2017/2018 edition, the Biennale College – Cinema and Biennale College – Cinema Virtual Reality projects have received generous funding from the MEDIA – Creative Europe Programme of the European Commission – General Direction Connect. The educational activities of the 2017 – 2018 edition will enjoy the support of the MEDIA funding. This funding is in addition to the support received from the MEDIA Programme for the development of the Venice Production Bridge.