The 12 new projects have been selected for the sixth edition of Biennale College – Cinema 2017/18, submitted by teams composed of directors and producers who will take part in the first 10-day workshop to be held in Venice from October 7th to 16th 2017. Nove projects are coming from the Biennale College – Cinema – International, while the other three are from the new Biennale College Cinema – Italia. The International Call was launched on May 2nd, the Italian one on March 7th.
Biennale College is an innovative and complex experience that engages every sector of the Biennale di Venezia.
Biennale College – Cinema is the project that promotes new talents in cinema by offering them the opportunity to work closely with master filmmakers in the production of micro-budget films. 3 of these 12 projects will receive support in the amount of 150,000 Euro to produce a maximum of 3 feature-length films (debut or second film), one of which must be Italian, to be presented at the 75th Venice International Film Festival in 2018.
The 12 projects were announced during the press conference held today, 3th of September, on the Lido di Venezia (Palazzo del Casinò), at the 74th Venice International Film Festival (30 August – 9 September 2017), directed by Alberto Barbera and organized by the Biennale di Venezia, chaired by Paolo Baratta.
The 12 projects selected for the first phase of Biennale College – Cinema are:
- Besos Negros (Black Kisses) - Alejandro Naranjo (director, Colombia) | Omar Razzak (producer, Spain)
- Deva Mall - Petra Szocs (director, Hungary) | Péter Fülöp (producer, Hungary)
- Dos Estaciones - Juan Pablo González (director, Mexico) | Jamie Gonçalves (producer, Brazil / USA)
- Gepetto - Z Behl (director, USA) | Carlos Zozaya (producer, Mexico)
- Swamp Queen - Xander Robin (director, USA) | Tatiana Bears (producer, USA)
- Stellanera - Valentina Bertuzzi (director, Italy) | Alessandra Grilli (producer, Italy)
- The Ice Rift - Margherita Ferri (director, Italy) | Chiara Galloni (producer, Italy)
- The Time of Gods - Piotr Stasik (director, Poland) | Pawel Kosun (producer, Poland)
- To Live To Sing - Johnny Ma (director, Canada/China) | Jing Wang (producer, China)
- Untitled Expat Film - Daniel Laabs (director, USA) | Jeff Walker (producer, USA)
- Yuva (Home) - Emre Yeksan (director, Turkey) | Anna Maria Aslanoglu (producer, Turkey)
- Wild Youth - Lorenzo Lodovichi (director, Italy) | Ines Vasiljevic (producer, Italy)
The 12 projects were selected by the Director of the Venice Film Festival Alberto Barbera, with the help of the Biennale College – Cinema team, and will be documented on the website collegecinema.labiennale.org/en/
At the close of the first workshop, which will be held in Venice from October 7th to 16th 2017, three teams will be selected and production will begin on 3 feature-length films (debut or second films), one of which must be Italian, which must be low-cost, will be funded in the amount of 150,000 Euro, and will be presented at the 75th Venice International Film Festival in 2018.
Biennale College – Cinema, organized by the Biennale di Venezia, is supported by the Ministry for the Cultural Heritage and Activities. Biennale College – Cinema, relies on the academic collaboration of the IFP in New York and of the TorinoFilmLab, and continues its collaboration with the Busan International Film Festival. The 2017-2018 edition of the project is supported by Condé Nast. The Director is Alberto Barbera, the Head of Programme Savina Neirotti.