Twelve projects have been selected for the 8th edition of Biennale College – Cinema 2019/20; their teams (composed of a director and a producer) will participate in the first 10-day workshop which will be held in Venice from October 5-14, 2019. Nine projects were selected from the Biennale College – Cinema International competition, whereas another three came from the Biennale College Cinema – Italy competition. A total of 190 projects participated.
The 12 projects selected for this first phase of Biennale College – Cinema are:
- La Calle Pura - Alfredo Chiarappa (director, Italy), Angelo Rocco Troiano (producer, Italy)
- La Santa Piccola - Silvia Brunelli (director, Italy), Francesca Maria Scanu (producer, Italy)
- The Wizard of Fake - Stefano Etter, Giovanni Greggio (directors, Italy), Mattia De Marco (producer, Italy)
- Babado - Camila Freitas (director, Brazil), Pedro Duarte (producer, Portugal)
- Fucking with Nobody - Hannaleena Hauru (director, Finland), Emilia Haukka (producer, Finland)
- Good Deal - Di Shen (director, China), Lizhi Chen (producer, China)
- He That Shall Be Named (Mon Père, Le Diable) – Ellie Foumbi (director, USA), Joseph Mastantuono (producer, France)
- Housekeeping for Beginners - Goran Stolevski (director, Macedonia), Marija Dimitrova (producer, Macedonia)
- Last Minutes - Pedro Collantes (director, Spain), Daniel Remón (producer, Spain)
- The Plant Under The Wild Land - Diego Zon (director, Brazil), Ana Cristina Viegas (producer, Portugal)
- The Sound of Light - Julietta Boscolo (director, Australia), Grayson Propst (producer, USA)
- Violenta - Juan Carlos Zaldivar alias Violenta Flores (director, USA), Gill Holland and Shaz Bennett (producers, USA)
After the workshop which will be held in Venice from October 5-14, 2019, four of these twelve projects (including one from the Italy section) will be selected to receive support from the Biennale to cover production costs, which cannot exceed 150,000 Euros, and will be presented at the 77th Venice Film Festival in 2020.
Biennale College – Cinema promotes new film talents, offering them the opportunity to work in contact with top professionals to make micro-budget movies. 4 of these 12 projects (one of which Italian) will receive support totaling 150,000 Euros, to make a maximum of four feature films (first or second films) which will be presented in 2020 at the 77th Venice Film Festival.
Biennale College – Cinema, conducted by the Biennale di Venezia, has the support of the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities – Directorate General for Cinema. One of the sponsors of the Biennale College – Cinema is the Università Telematica Pegaso. Biennale College – Cinema receives academic collaboration from IFP New York and TorinoFilmLab. The Director is Alberto Barbera; the Head of Programme is Savina Neirotti.
The educational activities of the Biennale College Cinema – Virtual Reality projects receive important financing from the MEDIA Programme – Creative Europe of the European Commission – Connect Directorate General. This contribution is in addition to the support which the MEDIA Programme gives to develop the Venice Production Bridge.